Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default What do you make from 6 inch diameter cherry logs?

I'd make sushi platters - I think htere is a photo of one in the gallery on
my web page (www.wbnoble.com) - if not, take 8 inch long section of the log,
saw down the middle (right through the pith), mount on lathe with the flat
part facing headstock and turn a foot and graceful curve - foot will act as
tennon for chuck - reverse, shape top (don't get whacked by hte edges), sand
and finish
"spaco" wrote in message
news
I have a 3 foot long and a 5 foot long piece of cherry log that I didn't
scrap when I was trimming a fence row. My total experience with bowl
turning is one 9 inch diameter simple bowl of willow.

What might one make from the subject logs? I cut them about 4 years
ago. I painted the ends of the larger immediately, but not the other one.
There is checking on that shorter one, but not too bad. I'll saw into it
when it thaws.

Pete Stanaitis