Colin Forsyth

Default Gravity to fully pumped and oil to gas !

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:12:20 +0100, "Colin Forsyth"

If you are going to have pipes dropping down such that the boiler
becomes a high point, then you will need to make a venting arrangement
consisting of manual or automatic vents at the boiler position.

Makes sense, I hadnt thought about that !

In the garage, you will also need to insulate the pipes very
thoroughly and fit a frost protection thermostat if the boiler doesn't
have its own arrangements. A pipe contact type is most suitable if
you need to add one.

Agreed, been thinking of a Gloworm 30Hxi which has built in frost
protection.

For all pipework, take care that it does not run where it can suffer
mechanical damage - e.g. from a car.

Only problem area would be the doorway to the utility room, but intend to
enclose the pipework.

A boiler change like this would be a good opportunity to switch the
whole primary system to sealed operation. This is very easy to do
and you may find it a prerequisite for your chosen condensing boiler.
Quite a lot require sealed operation, but there are some that don't
such as the Keston Celsius.
Ed Sirett has a FAQ with info. on sealed systems.

I'll look into this, however boiler in question can cope with open vented or
sealed systems.

Don't forget to give the system a thorough flush.

Will do ! Its actually empty at the mo while I replace a radiator. Had an
experience with a lockshield valve with water flying past the screw. Dare
say the poor little seal hadnt been disturbed for a long long time !!! So
it was hose on and emty the system and then the main drain off seal failed
so I had to drain the lot!!!

Ho hum....

.andy

Thanks for the comprehensive reply