Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default House air Filter

On Dec 6, 2:08 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:56:38 -0700, SteveB wrote:
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:17:54 -0700, SteveB wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 05:31:07 -0800, Dick wrote:

I have a Triton Big Bear air filter on my heating system. I just
installed a new programable thermostat that monitors the number of
hours on the air filter. The most information I can find is to change
the filter at the beginning of each season. My question is. Can anyone
tell me what the recommended change is in hours so that I can make use
of this feature on the Thermostat?

Every three months or 2,160 hours. 24x30x3=2160

That doesn't make any sense. Change it when it is dirty.

The poster asked for the "recommended" time to program into his
thermostat.
Tell me how you program "change it when it's dirty" into a thermostat?

Looking at a filter is easier than programming a thermostat and looking at
it hundreds of times. What if the thermostat malfunctions. Does the OP
wait three years and exclaim, "The thermostat didn't SAY it was dirty."

Just look at the stupid filter.

That's all fine and dandy and pretty common knowledge. But to give the
poster an answer to his question what do YOU recommend in hours he should
program his thermostat for?

For the OP -

It's Trion Air Bear, not Big Bear.

Per a Google search, you should be getting 6-12 months (one site) or
10-12 months (FiltersUSA) out of the filter. I don't know where you
live, but my furnace doesn't run anywhere near 25% of the time each
year, so setting the hours to 2160 seems a little too high. I change
my Air Bear about once a year, but have gone 18 months without it
looking too bad.

Of course, every situation is different, so you might want to try a
setting, and monitor the filter to see how it looks when the t-stat is
telling you to change it. Having lots of pets, or running the fan
more often than "normal" will have affect the change interval.

JK