Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Plywood foundation for granite slab counter top

dadiOH wrote:

wrote:

I'm replacing the counter tops in my kitchen with granite slab.
I'll be removing the old counter tops myself, and installing the
plywood foundation over the existing cabinets.

Are there any issues with driving in fasteners from above the
plywood rather than below?

Only the fact that you can't get it off without removing whatever is
on top.

In addition to that, you should not use plywood over the
boxes. Just strip the top with 1x2 and screw it down or use
nails and glue. This configuration will give adequate support
and allow access underneath for shimming where necessary (and
it will be necessary). If you install the plywood, it makes
the installation of the granite MUCH more difficult and does
not add to the strength of the finished product.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.