Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeepwolf Jeepwolf is offline

Default 30A duplex receptacles possible?

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:50:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 5, 7:29 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If you were going to use 30 amp outlets, you'd need to use 30 amp plugs as
well. It would be less expensive to use 15 or 20 amp plugs on the cords, and
use more 20 amp receptacles

Do you mean I can hook multiple 20A outlets to a 30A circuit and as
long as I don't draw more than 20A from any single outlet (and don't
go over 30A cumulative) I'm ok? Wouldn't that have a danger of
drawing more than the outlet can handle w/o the breaker tripping? Or
perhaps nothing that draws more than 20A would ever be able to plug
into a 20A receptacle?

Since you want to put Two duplex outlets into a box, put one on one
20A breaker and the other on another 20A breaker. Put several of
these in the room on separate breakers. I'd run at least 6 breakers
for that room. If your panel lacks spaces. run a sub panel in that
room, off a 60A main from the house panel. You can easily buy 6 or 8
breaker sub boxes. I'd go for the 8 or even a 10 for expansion, and
maybe put a 100A sub in the main panel. Of course you need thicker
wire to feed the thing and you need enough power coming into the house
to start with.