Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Problems diagnosing TV

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
How does anyone go about "rationally"
analyzing such problems?

See the cracked solder spots.

But that's part of the issue. A close visual inspection can be useful, but
it consumes a lot of time and is not "rational" -- that is, it doesn't
connect symptoms with possible causes. It's more an act of desperation.
(That is not an implied criticism. I'm a great believer in the "try
anything" approach to servicing, and often have to fall back on it
myself.)

With a good eye, one can scan a whole board fairly quickly for cracked
soldering, and combined with poking and prodding a live set with an
insulated stick can help to narrow it down. Once you've seen a few of these,
it becomes a matter of Ok this is another one of these sets, better resolder
the tuner grounds and see where that gets me. Once I started repairing CRT
displays, I found that most of them started to look pretty much the same on
the inside, and the same half dozen or so problems crop up on 95% of the
defective units.