Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm

Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 2:13 pm, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Don't ever move to Florida! I can barley find HO's insurance and my
rates have TRIPLED in the last 3 yrs with NO claims.

Not just Florida. I suspect there are going to be some serious
changes (increases) in rates many places over the coming years. If
global warming trends continue I expect predictions for a number of
geographical areas are going to result in serious increases and many
people will be forced out or forced to live without insurance. I also
expect reductions in real estate values in many areas. Only time will
tell.

Well, there is certain logic in what is happening. Move into a flood
zone and pay a fortune for storm coverage? It is insane. Might be
better to put the money in the bank and insure for fire/liability. There
are folks in Florida who have been flooded numerous times, whose
insurance paid so they kept rebuilding because "we love this
river/beach". Goofy as it gets. The richer folks, who can build right
on the beach, pass laws against folks carrying drink containers on
"their" beach, but want Federal welfare to put their sand back in place
when mother nature takes it away. As far as I am concerned, mother
nature can take them, too. Mebbe they can grab some flotsam like the
folks in New Orleans did.

It is a very real issue and I don't see any simple answers.
Regulation will not fix the underlying problem. If losses are going
to increase there must be some sort of way to recover the cost. If we
know one area is going to suffer large losses, then should everyone be
forced to help pay for their loses or should we allow the owners to
loose what they have invested?

We could take a trillion dollars, rather than burn it in Iraq, and build
a big slush fund for folks who are long term residents being forced from
their homes by high taxes and insurance. Seems like a rather patriotic
idea to me ...... but, then, we have to keep drivin' our SUV's so our
kids can grow up fat and lazy, so keep that oil flowing and keep kissing
up to Saudi kings. We are so weak, it is pathetic, because "sacrifice"
and "discipline" and "principle" are no longer in the vocabulary. With
what is left over of the trillion dollars, we could send everyone who
lives in New Orleans to college, expenses paid, and solve the problem of
poverty. Build them houses while we're at it...........$100,000 times
10,000 would only be a billion dollars. Loose change.

Hard choices ahead and add that we don't have solid facts to
estimate the real needs. It is not going to be easy and few in
authority will want to tackle a problem when no one will like the answer.

Doubt Americans will make any hard choices for a long, long time. They
make the easy, one-issue choices, like "he spouts a lot of religion, so
I'll vote for him". When I think back to the days after 9/11, and the
coward-in-chief insinuating that everyone who didn't want to invade Iraq
was unpatriotic, I want to puke. And the poor slob got teary eyed at
the thought of Saudis whipping rape victims. He should have paid them a
visit and grabbed them by the throat. MW Dictionary defines "patriot"
as "one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and
interests". George has a long way to go.