Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm

clipped

Don't ever move to Florida! I can barley find HO's insurance and my
rates have TRIPLED in the last 3 yrs with NO claims.

Sad fact for folks who just want to live in a decent home, but I get the
warm fuzzies thinking about all the "flippers" going broke. There was a
guy in our condo, hungry to buy as many of the eight units as he could,
who got a spot on the board of directors (which helps vote down needed
maintenance) and doubled his money when he sold after about three
years. We thought we had a great neighbor and a decent friend, but
money is thicker than water and money talks. When condo issues got
messy, they didn't know us any more. We had helped them move in, had a
nice meal ready at the end of that day, babysat their kids, drove them
to the airport so's they didn't need to pay parking fees, helped haul
out debris when they remodeled, etc., etc., etc. Hubby and I have been
everyone's friend when they want something, which can be very often, but
they don't know us when we need something. So, now there are two units
in our condo for sale, and it is going slow..............big smile
....................one owner was briefly the board Pres. who would not
call a plumber when sewage was backing up into our unit. The other,
above us, trashed part of our wiring by pounding nails through the
floor. Big "For Sale" sign in his window and I smile each time I see
it. Another unit, rented so there is no homestead, has over $7,000 yr.
property tax. Owner lives in UK. During the flipping frenzy, older
buildings on our street were torn down, the market went south, and now
the bare lots are growing weeds. City fathers aren't worth the paper
their paychecks are written on.

I have a feeling that the mortgage problem is going to get a lot worse,
at least around here, before it gets better. Meanwhile, the richer guys
keep building right up to the water's edge, and can count on tax money
to replace the beach when it eventually washes away. No pol on earth
will ever suggest restricting building in flood zones, so the lemmings
keep coming.