Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Steve is offline

Default Small bugs found on shop floor

I'm in Lincoln CA, and my wife found some small bugs on the floor in the
shop. The floor is concrete, and at first we thought maybe they were
feeding on some sawdust on the floor, but I can't find them anywhere
else in the shop. In the area we found them there were maybe 50 of
them. They are up to the size of ordinary black ants, but their legs
are much smaller. They squash easily, appear to be black or very dark
brown, and kinda fuzzy. They are up to a little over 1/8" long, 1/32"
or so wide, and thicker at one end than the other. Two little antennae
at the narrower end. I thought at first they didn't have legs, but we
looked at one under a magnifier, and can see little tiny legs on the
under side at the narrower end. They also appear to have little pincers
at the opposite end from the antennae, and they can jump an inch or two.

Any idea what these critters are?

--Steve