Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Advice on repairing NAD 7150 Receiver

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

About the only scenario that I can come up with, which might cover all
bases, is if it is a power supply problem. If power to the phono preamp
is
switched, as part of bringing that function on line, then it's possible

that
something in the phono preamp circuitry, is putting noise onto that
supply
line, which may also be used by later stages. If this is the case, then

the
phono preamp will output corresponding noise into the rest of the

amplifier
chain, which will be the component of your noise that *is* controlled by

the
volume control, and also, the noise on the supply rail will cause noise
come out of later stages as well, which will be your noise component that

is
*not* controllable by the volume control. A supply rail problem would
also
account for the noise being on both channels.

As a first move, I would try disconnecting the supply rail to the phono
stage. If that stops it, and you're happy with that, then just leave it.

If
you want to try to get a fix, I would be looking at rail decoupling caps,
and transistors.

This is testable without disconnecting the supply rail. Switch the scope
AC, and look at the rails while listening to the amp.

This is quite true, but assumes that he has a 'scope, and knows what to be
looking for ...

I went down the route of suggesting just disconnecting the supply to the
phono preamp, because he had implied that he was not particularly interested
in phono functionality, just in stopping the noise. A 'sledgehammer' fix if
you will.

Arfa