Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nearysr nearysr is offline

Default treadmill

I have a used Spirit SL 188 Programmable treadmill which from
time to time runs fine, responds to input from the control panel, and
then stops. The duration of its operation seems inversely
proportional to the speed at which it is asked to operate. When it
stops, it remains stopped for days and weeks, with no response to
hitting the reset button, pulling the plug and replugging the unit.
Abracadabra, plug it in and it starts! The manufacturer tells me over
the phone, based on my description of the above symptoms, that it
needs a new control board which they will send me for $300. I cannot
find anyone local (Albuquerque) who wants to deal with it, because it
is 11 or 12 years old. There is no apparent wear or tear and it seems
nuts to me that this thing can't be fixed. Any advice?