Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting the paint off old beams

Steve Firth wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Steve Firth (Steve Firth)) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Sand-blasting is IMO the refuge of an oaf and it will result in damage
to the beams no matter what anyone tells you.

I must admit, I _hate_ the look of sandblasted beams, often seen in pubs
that have been "done up". That "throbbing vein" look of the grain
standing proud, and the poor battered fibrous look. Eww. Makes me feel
sorry for the wood.

Yup, exactly. Every would-be sand blaster rants on about how a good
vacuum will get rid of all the abarasive. This is a lie. Even years
after the event my friends house is still leaking grit from the joints
between beams and it's impossible to vacuum them clean. The wire brush
left the wood looking clean and didn't raise the grain at all. OK, it
takes some effort, but that IMO is the trade off with DIY, a bit of
extra work for the promise of a much better job than can be done by a
"professional."

How odd. All mind had gibe withing a week after Id vacuumed a few times.

The grit blaster people went over all the beam cracks with 'dry' guns
when they had finished to get the dust out ..

we just swept it all up first, then vacuumed, and did a couple more
later on.