Posted to alt.home.repair
Erma1ina Erma1ina is offline

Default asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm

Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Roof Time Cincinnati" wrote in message
On Dec 5, 7:55 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

..

?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Hmmm..dunno if I agree Joe. Here is why. A claim file is opened with
every inqueiry at your insurer. In Ohio an insurer will pay, just as
you said, but based on a periodic table of claims filed, risk
assesment in the future, and the total insured income pool...he could
be dropped by his insurer, for making a legitimate claim!

The damage sounded bad, but maybe not an entire roof. If it just needs
repaired, I would tell him to weigh his deductable against the repair
bids aginst the fact of has he made any prior claims..how long insured
and his overall credit rating...yes, that matters too.

I guess I am a lot less worried. I figure that is what I am paying for.
I have made a roof claim to my insurance company (I live in Ohio). The
funny part was it was for hail damage. I knew it hit the neighborhood hard
but I did not expect there to be any damage and I was expecting them to come
out and tell me all was OK. Well I did not know what to look for and yes I
had damage. They were very easy to work with. In over 45 years of
automobile ownership and 40 years of home ownership with multiple claims on
each, I have never been canceled, or had my rate increased related to a
claim I am on the same company for my home the entire time and I have had
only two companies insuring my cars. I have less distrust of insurance
companies than a lot of people.

I can't understand why someone you have insurance on something that they
were afraid to make a claim on.

BTW I believe you are right about that "could be" thing, but the
question is how likely is it?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Just do a simple google search such as:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...elled+claim s

Here's one of the more "mainstream" links returned:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/26/pf/i...e_it/index.htm

"Homeowners insurance: Use it and lose it"

Excerpt:

"Non-renewals by insurance companies is a trend that's affecting
homeowners far beyond the hurricane belt. A 2003 study by the
Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA) revealed that
nearly 2.5 million Americans had lost their coverage during the previous
two years.

"Non-renewals follow two scenarios: The first involves homes in danger
zones, such as flood plains or storm paths.

.. . .

"The second involves policyholders who file too many claims, the
so-called 'use it and lose it' phenomenon.

" 'It has been a very strange development,' says Doug Heller, a
spokesman for the Foundation for Taxpayer & Consumer Rights. 'Consumers
are being threatened with non-renewal for filing legitimate claims.'

" 'The companies say, "We'll take care of you," ' says Marcia Salkin,
senior policy representative for the National Association of Realtors.
'But if you let them do that, it can come back to bite you.'

.. . .

". . . But claims don't have to be paid -- or even filed -- to count
against you.

"Just asking your agent whether a loss is covered could go on your
record.

.. . .

"Here are some tips on avoiding non-renewals from the IIABA:

* Be cautious filing smaller claims. If your loss exceeds your
deductible by less than $200, consider paying out-of-pocket.

* Stick with one company: Companies may give long-term customers the
benefit of the doubt and overlook minor blemishes on their records.

* Bundle coverage. If you have auto and life coverage with your home
insurer, they may not want to jeopardize that business by cancelling
your homeowners policy.

* Maintain your house. Upgrades of security systems, plumbing, and
electricity, making sure the roof and gutters still function well, and
trimming tall trees of dead branches can keep your house safer. Some
upgrades even qualify for a premium discount."