Posted to alt.home.repair
BETA-32[_2_] BETA-32[_2_] is offline

Default Alternative to fiberglass insulation in a crawl space

I think the main thing to do first is eliminate the access to the crawl
space from the outside and eliminate any sources of food and water.

Here's some additional rat info:

http://unexco.com/Rat.html

"Dan" wrote in message
Bought a mid 1970's vintage house in the Seattle area last April. The
house has had ongoing problems with rats in the crawl space. If the
assortment of insulation between the joists is any indication, some has
been replaced at least twice, likely from this problem, and a bunch of it
is torn/pulled down/soiled now from the animals as well. It goes without
saying that the goal is to keep rodents out of the space, and I am working
on that (just found one primary point of entry that was missed by TWO
exterminators that I know of, and probably more). However I plan to have
ALL the fiberglass removed & replaced with new insulation. I am wondering
if there is any type of insulation, maybe a rigid foam board material, or
something sprayed on, which is resistant if not impervious to rodents
getting into it, on top of it, pulling it down & nesting in it. Any
helpful insights into this appreciated.

Dan