Gunner

Default OT Space rock hits house- For John S.

Space rock hits house

American collectors with open chequebooks are expected in New Zealand
within days to bid for the 1.3kg meteorite which exploded through the
roof of an Auckland house yesterday.

The hit is a billions-to-one event which adds thousands to the value
of the grapefruit-sized rock which plummeted through the tiled roof of
Phil and Brenda Archer's Ellerslie home at 9.30am.

Collectors are also expected to begin combing the suburb for other
pieces which may have survived the molten descent.

It is only the ninth meteorite ever found here and the first to hit a
home. The last one was found in 1976 but it is not known when it
landed. Worldwide, such strikes happen only once every three or four
years.

"I was in the kitchen doing breakfast and there was this almighty
explosion," said Brenda Archer. "It was like a bomb had gone off. I
couldn't see anything, there was just dust. I thought something had
exploded in the ceiling. Phil saw a stone under the computer and it
was hot to touch."

The rock hit her leather couch and bounced back up to the ceiling
before rolling under the computer. The Archers' one-year-old grandson
Luca was playing nearby just minutes before the impact. "He must have
a guardian angel," she said.

Experts have told the Archers to keep the rock in the oven at 100C to
dry it out. They plan to take it to Auckland University tomorrow.

Their insurance company will pay for the hole in the roof and couch
and two holes in the ceiling.

snip
--
W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira
"no free man shall be taken or imprisoned...except by the

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell