Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stewart Stewart is offline

Default Septic Tank: easy to gauge sludge-height?

I do not know the size of the opening above the liquid but it should be
possible with a 6" plunger to feel the interchange; just gently lower the
plunger into the liquid until you feel the resistance, you caould use
another stick to compare with the depth of the tank.

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

Eddy Bentley wrote:

Does anyone do that? I'm thinking of making a "sludge-detector" by
taking a long pole and fixing a fairly large flat plate to the end of
it. If I were to then slowly lower this down through the top level of
"clear" liquid I ought to be able to feel when I hit the sludge level. If
it is way below the outlet pipe, then all is well.

What do you think?

Yes, I know I should just make the "detector" and go test it . . . but
who wants to go outside in this awful weather and start poking around in
"heavy stuff" if it might be a complete waste of time?

Eddy.

Interesting idea. Let us know if you can actually feel the boundary. My
neighbour could use this. They are desperately trying to avoid the cost of
a sewage plant like mine, but their septic is proving troublesome.

Maybe there's a market for an automatic indicator. You'd need to use a
float with a density that lies between the density of the sludge and the
liquid. Some guesswork or rather unpleasant measurements to make here. My
guess is that there wouldn't be much difference. Then you'd need to
calculate the float volume. This must be big enough that the difference in
density will give enough upward force for the indicator. Perhaps a string
wrapped round a geared dial. Hmmm. There's a programme on the moron box
for potential inventors isn't there? Bet they wouldn't have this one on.

Don't forget to put on your snorkel and mask in case you fall in!

Peter Scott