Posted to alt.home.repair
Roof Time Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati is offline

Default asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm

On Dec 5, 7:55 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
I suggest that you start with your insurance company. It should be
covered. The insurance company has a vested interest in preventing future
damage to your home. They will likely not only pay for it but inspect it
decide what is needed and help you find a good contractor who will take care
of it before more damage occurs that the insurance company would pay for.

"Joe" wrote in message

We recently had a windstorm move through our area of Washington (yeah,
we're all over the news) that deposited about 20-30 of my asphalt
shingles all over my backyard. I looked at the roof carefully, and
there's no plywood showing, the places where shingles came off still
have shingles underneath, there were and are no leaks. Is it
necessary to have these replaced immediately, or is it even necessary
at all? If I need to replace them eventually, how does one go about
replacing individual shingles?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Hmmm..dunno if I agree Joe. Here is why. A claim file is opened with
every inqueiry at your insurer. In Ohio an insurer will pay, just as
you said, but based on a periodic table of claims filed, risk
assesment in the future, and the total insured income pool...he could
be dropped by his insurer, for making a legitimate claim!

The damage sounded bad, but maybe not an entire roof. If it just needs
repaired, I would tell him to weigh his deductable against the repair
bids aginst the fact of has he made any prior claims..how long insured
and his overall credit rating...yes, that matters too.