Posted to alt.home.repair
Manjo Manjo is offline

Default Blue Tape on Wallpaper

On Dec 4, 10:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Manjo" wrote in message

By mistake, I applied a medium strength 3M Painters Blue Tape on a
fine-sddBy mistake, I applied a medium strength 3M Painters Blue Tape
on a fine-paperwallpaperin order to protect it while I painted the
crown moulding. As a result, when I began to remove the blue tape, it
took a couple of patches ofwallpaperoff the wall.

I was eventually able to get the tape off using a heat gun on low.
While getting the hang of heat/speed, I bubbled/blistered a 2 inch by
1/4 inch wide patch of new moulding paint with the heat gun.

My questions a

1. What brand/type masking tape can I use on fine-paperwallpaperto
avoid pulling off the top layer of paper when removing the tape?

2. How can I fix the edges of the paint blister and finish it so it'
looks better?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, and comments.

Manjo

I would call 3M at 800-447-4235 and ask them for advice. I spoke with them
last week about another product and I was impressed with their service. They
know their stuff.- Hide quoted text -

No offense to 3M, but I got some semi-capable person who suggested
the "orange" labeled Blue tape that was just a tad less adehesive than
the "blue" labeled tape. The person went on to suggest acetone that I
was pretty sure would have a negative effect on the wallpaper printed
design and/or the paste holding it on the wall. When I asked about
using water they thought that was a good idea, but it turned out to
have little to no effect to soften the tape adhesive.

The hot air gun was their suggestion. I put off using the gun to last
because I was afraid the heat would have a negative effect on the
wallpaper. It softened the adhesive enough to slowly pull the tape
away from the wallpaper "at a 45 degree angle," which was the second
good suggestion from 3M. If I were more knowledgable, I would have
figured a way to hold a long blade taping tool between the moulding
and wallpaper to make a clean break line to protect the new paint,
while applying the heat gun, and pulling the tape.

So bottom line, I'm glad I callede them. They provided a lot of
suggestions that would work on a painted surface, but some were
questionable for wallpaper.

Manjo