Posted to alt.home.repair
Roof Time Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati is offline

Default asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm

On Dec 5, 1:38 am, Joe wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 22:22:03 -0800 (PST), Roof Time Cincinnati

wrote:

Thanks a lot for th advice. This helps a lot. The problem will be
that so many people around here have roofs that were completely
destroyed, I suppose I'll wind up on a very long waiting list. But at
least I know I need to get it done.

Hey!
I know looking down onto the roof, it looks like there could be no
harm in waiting before replacing the missing tabs...but do not do it!

The shingles are laid in a specific geometric pattern. The
manufacturer's detail nail palcement, nail length, and the proper math
for cutting the shingles so that they align, seal, and last as a water
protectant for your home. When one or more are missng, the entire roof
is compromised and only worse things are in store (mold, wood rot,
collpasing cielings, etc).

Roofs are expensive, I know, but if your home could be protected by
having LESS material, it already would! In other words, Nope, you
cannot protect your home if any pieces are gone!

To find a good roofer who will fix your missing material, fairly
reasonably, try this, shoot some digital pics of your roof, and a
close up of the shingles laying on the ground. Call around and explain
what happened, and offer to email over the pics.

If a roofer can see the slope, height, and color of the shingles, he
can offer you a much better price because he can see how much effort
and can pick up the right color, before coming over.

If you can save a man, time and gas, as well as, make it easier for
him, he can give you a better price!

In my market, what you described could be fixed for approx, $100.
bucks, if I knew what ladders I needed, and did not have to leave to
go buy the proper color. Good Luck!- Hide quoted text -

Well you can move yourself upto the front of any list by getting as
much details (pics) over to a good guy ASAP...also...do not be afraid
to clearly indicate that you will be paying upon completion only...no
upfront money at all. If you get some pics and send them over to me, I
maybe able to tell yuo what shingles and how many you will
need......Good Luck!