Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Carbon absorption by S.S.

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
snip
However if I could cite some reference for using stainless I could
build nice shiny stainless manifolds (that were OBVIOUSLY more
valuable) and charge more money for them.

Thanks all for the answers.

If you want some PhD authorities, go to Google Scholar and search on
{stainless steel marine exhaust corrosion). After you get through the
patents there are 2,000 references, quite a few of which address the
corrosion mechanisms.

I would be tempted to call the material application experts at some
steel manufacturers. This cannot be a new issue.

Joe Gwinn

I'm sure you're right, but it would have to be someone who was expert
specifically on marine applications. Stress corrosion and so on is well
known, but the acid and related things probably are particular to this
situation.

--
Ed Huntress