Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

In article ,
"Mike Henry" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
Clark Magnuson wrote:

How are you going to move it?

Probably will hire a rigger, as the weather is closing in.

I will touch and see the machine this morning. It is under power, so
checkout will be fairly easy.

I bought the lathe.

It comes with lots of stuff, but sounds like it needs some heavy oil in
the gearcase. But everything appears to work, and the ways look
pristine. Nor was there any grinder grit on the lathe. Just
smooth-feeling but dirty-looking grease.

[snip]

If you find a cheap rigger, let me know.

Sure, but he will be on the other coast, in the Boston area.

If cost is an issue, you might try approaching riggers and asking if they
would be willing to transport your lathe a little cheaper when they have
another load going the same way. That worked for my Clausing 5914 and it
was moved for $200. I figured that was only a little more than truck rental
would have cost me and the whole thing was done quickly and professionally.
The only downside was I had to be available on a days notice to be home for
delivery. The same rigger wanted $900 to move it to our basement so a
friend helped me get it down there.

I have two references for riggers, and will call them.

I have level access into the basement through a wide-enough door, so I
don't expect a big bill to get from driveway into basement.

But the driveway is icy at present, so I would assume that we will have
to outwait the weather.

Joe Gwinn