Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker[_2_] Dave Baker[_2_] is offline

Default Does this sound like the bearings in a washing machine?

wrote in message ...
On 2 Dec,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Skipweasel writes:
In article ,

says...
Our Indesit washing machine has started to make a high pitched metal
against metal sound usually only during the high speed spin.

Sounds more like something's got between the drum and the tub. Bearings
sound more like a jet-engine on take-off. Loud roaring.

Also for failed drum bearings, you may find the you can move the inner
drum
relative to the outer drum quite a bit -- gently lift the inner drum and
see if there's any loose movement.

High pitched screech can be motor bearings. The brush end can usually be
changed (improves brush life no end). Unfortunately the other end is
usually
only replacable together with the armature or motor.

Could also be a slipping drive belt. I'm sure we've all heard that appalling
noise that some cars make when pulling away when the alternator belt is
slipping. Sounds metallic but isn't.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines