Posted to alt.home.repair
Roof Time Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati is offline

Default asphalt shingles blown off in wind storm

On Dec 5, 12:02 am, Joe wrote:
We recently had a windstorm move through our area of Washington (yeah,
we're all over the news) that deposited about 20-30 of my asphalt
shingles all over my backyard. I looked at the roof carefully, and
there's no plywood showing, the places where shingles came off still
have shingles underneath, there were and are no leaks. Is it
necessary to have these replaced immediately, or is it even necessary
at all? If I need to replace them eventually, how does one go about
replacing individual shingles?

Hey!
I know looking down onto the roof, it looks like there could be no
harm in waiting before replacing the missing tabs...but do not do it!

The shingles are laid in a specific geometric pattern. The
manufacturer's detail nail palcement, nail length, and the proper math
for cutting the shingles so that they align, seal, and last as a water
protectant for your home. When one or more are missng, the entire roof
is compromised and only worse things are in store (mold, wood rot,
collpasing cielings, etc).

Roofs are expensive, I know, but if your home could be protected by
having LESS material, it already would! In other words, Nope, you
cannot protect your home if any pieces are gone!

To find a good roofer who will fix your missing material, fairly
reasonably, try this, shoot some digital pics of your roof, and a
close up of the shingles laying on the ground. Call around and explain
what happened, and offer to email over the pics.

If a roofer can see the slope, height, and color of the shingles, he
can offer you a much better price because he can see how much effort
and can pick up the right color, before coming over.

If you can save a man, time and gas, as well as, make it easier for
him, he can give you a better price!

In my market, what you described could be fixed for approx, $100.
bucks, if I knew what ladders I needed, and did not have to leave to
go buy the proper color. Good Luck!