Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
Clark Magnuson wrote:

How are you going to move it?

Probably will hire a rigger, as the weather is closing in.

I will touch and see the machine this morning. It is under power, so
checkout will be fairly easy.

I bought the lathe.

Joe Gwinn

At the auction there was a big ex merchant marine named Eric that
approached me about moving the lathe. He wanted $50 to go from Seattle
to Mercer Island with it. He had a flat bed truck. There was a gantry
overhead at the auction. He slid it down boards to get it off the truck
at my place.
Knowing what I now know about how tippy that lathe is, I don't know how
we managed.

For the Millrite MVI a year ago, I didn't go with a rigger who didn't
seem to understand that chains bearing directly on scraped surfaces was
a no-no.

I recently called Nelson trucking, and they wanted more to move a
Bridgeport 10 miles than the machine costs.
http://www.nelsontrucking.com/

Seattle. A bit far for me. Though I've had such quotes.

If you find a cheap rigger, let me know.

Sure, but he will be on the other coast, in the Boston area.

If cost is an issue, you might try approaching riggers and asking if they
would be willing to transport your lathe a little cheaper when they have
another load going the same way. That worked for my Clausing 5914 and it
was moved for $200. I figured that was only a little more than truck rental
would have cost me and the whole thing was done quickly and professionally.
The only downside was I had to be available on a days notice to be home for
delivery. The same rigger wanted $900 to move it to our basement so a
friend helped me get it down there.

Mike