Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Blue Tape on Wallpaper

On Dec 4, 10:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Manjo" wrote in message

By mistake, I applied a medium strength 3M Painters Blue Tape on a
fine-sddBy mistake, I applied a medium strength 3M Painters Blue Tape
on a fine-paper wallpaper in order to protect it while I painted the
crown moulding. As a result, when I began to remove the blue tape, it
took a couple of patches of wallpaper off the wall.

I was eventually able to get the tape off using a heat gun on low.
While getting the hang of heat/speed, I bubbled/blistered a 2 inch by
1/4 inch wide patch of new moulding paint with the heat gun.

My questions a

1. What brand/type masking tape can I use on fine-paper wallpaper to
avoid pulling off the top layer of paper when removing the tape?

http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/...ml/simple.html

2. How can I fix the edges of the paint blister and finish it so it'
looks better?

You can't really, but if I had to try, I'd poke a few tiny holes and
squirt in some carpenter's glue through a syringe, then rig up
something to keep pressure against the bubbled paint. If the molding
is complicated/detailed, you might have to pull a mold from another
section and then use that to clamp the glue-repaired-paint-bubble in
place. Depends on how badly you want to avoid attempting a paint
touch up. Since it's new molding paint, and presumably there's some
leftover paint floating about, I'd head right down the touch up paint
route.

TIA for any tips, suggestions, and comments.

I would call 3M at 800-447-4235 and ask them for advice. I spoke with them
last week about another product and I was impressed with their service. They
know their stuff.

3M is a great company. If it says 3M on the package, it's a good
product. That's the rule of thumb. Whether it's the right product
for the application and you're the right person for the job is another
matter entirely!