Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default How to find concealed speaker wire?

Norminn wrote:

Hello,
I purchased a new home (that was 95% completed when I bought it) that
was prewired for surround sound. I opened the plates where the
speakers are supposed to be attached on the walls, and found a (rather
low-quality) speaker wire there. There are four such plates. However,
the other end of the wire is not visible - no plates, exposed wires,
etc where I would expect to plug into my receiver.

The builder and electrician are completely unresponsive, so I can't
ask them for information. Is there any way to find out where the other
ends terminate?

Thanks for any help!

Plans should be on file at the local building department.

It's unlikely that low voltage lines will be shown on the building plans. You
can buy an inexpensive toner/prob and trace the lines out yourself. Attach the
tone device to the exposed wires and wave the wand around where you think the
lines go. These are available at Harbor Freight or the big box hardware stores.

This is similar to a situation I ran into on my new house. Some time over the
last 10 years or so, prewire (alarm, stereo, intercom, etc) has morphed from
something you buy, to a marketing device.

The idea is to get you to have to go to a specific subcontractor for completion
(and pay $$$) instead of providing something you could finish yourself or get
competitive bids on.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars