Posted to rec.woodworking
ROYNEU ROYNEU is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

On Dec 3, 12:17 pm, Andy H wrote:
Hi Gang,
Heres some background. I work in my garage(SHOP!!) and I have a nice
50" Jet TS and an old Dewalt RAS and crappy ryobi router.
Lately I have had delusions of grandeur, thinking about doing some more
serious side work. I have a commission to do 7 small carts and another
to do an entertainment center. These are from the same client.
I am in a position to invest in the shop a bit and I can justify about
$5-$600. Im thinking of getting a 2hp Dust collector (Shop Fox), a
Triton 2-1/4 HP Router, and a forrest WWII blade.

Im getting a PC nailer set out of what I make for these 7 carts.
i dont have a jointer or planer but I dont have much need for them at
this moment. Althought I do have a bunch of raw Black Walnut boards
that need planing.
My work is pretty varied. A bunch of cabinet stuff, but I want to get
into some fine blanket chests, furniture n stuff.

Im open to other suggestions. Help me spend my money!

BadAndy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::

Hi Andy,

If you buy your wood finished 2 sides and straight lined you will
probably not need a planer or jointer to soon. As soon as need to edge
glue boards you really need a jointer. As soon as you buy wood rough
or need to thin a piece of wood down to less of a thickness you will
likely need a planer. But if you are to give your cabinetry work any
shape you will really need a band saw. Now there are work arounds to
all of these pieces of equipment but they are all going to slow down
your work. Larger pieces of equipment make the process go faster. You
have to decide how much you need to speed up each process.

The other part of this is when you start doing this stuff for money
the more of the money you keep for yourself the better off you will
be. If you are paying the mill to do most of the work it may or may
not be financially benefitting. Buying rough lumber and milling it
yourself for the original cost of the equipment and the cost of blades
and sharpening will likely pay you in the end. All of this is
dependent of how much work you do. The cost of the equipment is
amoritized over many jobs to justify the cost before it starts paying
you. So weigh these thoughts in relationship to the work you expect
you will do.

Roy