jim rozen

Default Wiring 3 phase switch for 2 phase power

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Note -- this probably violates code in the US, but it shows that
it *can* be done with three switch sections.

Eeeek. I've done a lot of sketchy things in the past, but
I would really really try to avoid doing that - wiring a
machine for 240 with one leg always hot (unswitched). Aside
from the code violation, I don't think I could sleep at
night knowing that the motor had 120 between the windings
and the frame, and that an insulation breakdown could
cause trouble.

I would only do that for temporary testing, or if I had
to run it that way long term for whatever reason, I see that
it could be unplugged when not in use.

Jim

please reply to: