Daniel Miller

Default Wiring 3 phase switch for 2 phase power

Thans Don,

No reverse button....

I appreciate your help

Dan
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Dan Miller wrote:

[ ... ]

Thanks for all of your very interesting discussion! I must say I learned

lot regardless of the fact
that I meant (as some of you assumed) regular (I guess you would call it
single pole or single phase) power. You know, 120 volts AC right out of

the
standard hosehold plug here in the U.S.

O.K.

You see, I bought a nice push button switch for my drill press off of

E-bay
knowing it was a 3 phase switch but
now I'm a bit confused on how to wire it for my single phase power.

Should I
just break the black wire over two of the contacts of the switch and

leave
the other three open? I'd ground the motor as well of course.

O.K. You can use any one of the contact pairs for switching the
hot (black) wire. Or if the motor draws near the limit of the switch
(the rating should be molded into the plastic), you can parallel two or
three contacts to handle a bit more current. (Probably not triple the
rating, as the contacts probably don't open and close at precisely the
same time, but it will help a bit.

I presume that this does not have a button for "reverse" to
complicate things?

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564