Posted to uk.d-i-y
David W.E. Roberts David W.E. Roberts is offline

Default Combination Boiler or Condensing Boiler

"Tyler" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've just had my house converted to gas from electric only. I having
central heating put in. Which, in your opinion, is better, a
combination boiler or condensing?

I have a 2 bed semi and can build on the side in future. I have a
downstairs loo along with the bathroom upstairs.

The fitters seem to like the combination boiler as they are easier to
put in. Help as I know little about DIY!

I've recently had a combi boiler fitted in our 3 bedroom semi.

We shower, and the shower over the bath does not seem to be adversley
afffected by someone flushing the loo or turning on a cold tap or the
dishwasher.

We do have a very good cold mains supply, and a reasonably poweful boiler.

Mains supply is the killer - you will probably note this from the posts
which regret a combi.

A 3 bedroom semi with one bathroom should generally be O.K. for a combi.

If you want a second bathroom then water storage (probably with a pump for
power showers) is probably a better option.

We are happy with the extra storage space in the loft, and the extra
cupboard space where the hot water cylinder was.

The main downside of combis is implied in the name; everything combined in
one unit. If one bit fails you could lose heating and hot water.

HTH

Dave R