Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

Andy H wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:11:57 -0800, Jeff wrote:

On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:
The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it
going to be that helpful? Is there something more useful that I
should get instead?
If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter
over a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not
the big particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably
already owns a shop vac.

You beat me to it, Jeff.

Leon, you can sweep the floor. Sweeping your lungs is not an
option
:-).

I have a very small shop with no room for a dust collector. But
one
of the first things I built was a dust collector that hangs from
the
ceiling.

Hi Larry,
What did it cost you to build this air cleaner? Ive been looking at
building one of them for some time. Where do you get the squirrel
cage blower?

You might want to take a look at the Ridgid AF2100. 250 cfm for a
hundred bucks. While they tend to be denigrated by some of the tool
snobs and Borg-bashers, Ridgid stationary tools are actually pretty
decent performers for the most part. Replacement filters can be
ordered direct from Ridgid for about 32 bucks for the set of 2.

By the way, Im leaning toward a triton router, forrest blade, PC
brad
nailer and Dewalt planer. I think these would all be put to use
fairly quickly.

Thanks,
BadAndy
Clever Sig here ::