Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Followup on wire brushing, hopefully final

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Todd Rich" wrote in message

(snip)
So, what do you reckon he would say would be a good hand brush for
scraping off scale and semi-molten sodium tetraborate off of 1500F-2400F
iron bars about 1 inch square? Looking for effective and durable.

.020" Inconel 690 wire in a stainless steel #7 channel strip brush. Bend it
to any shape you want and screw it on a length of SS pipe. Brush part will
be about $200/foot. Lead time 8 weeks ARO.

Spendy, but looking at what it is made out of, not that surprising. I was
originally thinking of switching over to the flat bristle type butcher
block brush, as that seems to be what a lot of blacksmiths like, and it
doesn't melt like the cheapie iron wire brushes I'd been getting.

But I did ask an expert for their advice, and it sounds like it will last!
I'll probably be ready to order it in Feb. I'll save this post and call
in an order then.

Thanks!