Dan Miller

Default Wiring 3 phase switch for 2 phase power

Sorry Guys!

I used to frequent this news group quite often and haven't as of late.

I posted this question a while back and just now decided to log in and see
if there was any
response!

Thanks for all of your very interesting discussion! I must say I learned a
lot regardless of the fact
that I meant (as some of you assumed) regular (I guess you would call it
single pole or single phase) power. You know, 120 volts AC right out of the
standard hosehold plug here in the U.S.

You see, I bought a nice push button switch for my drill press off of E-bay
knowing it was a 3 phase switch but
now I'm a bit confused on how to wire it for my single phase power. Should I
just break the black wire over two of the contacts of the switch and leave
the other three open? I'd ground the motor as well of course.

Thanks again, I promise to not let you guys hang in endless discussion of
what I may have "meant" again.

Dan

"Peter H." wrote in message

According to my 50-year-old textbook, two
phase is not used--it would need four wires.

Two-phase can be three, four or five wires, with four wires being the most
common.

Where the source is three-phase, a customer-owned Scott-T transformer is
usually used, in which case the secondary of said transformer is used to
"separately derive" the two-phase system, thereby allowing three wires to

be
used for two-phase.

This would be the logical equivalent of grounded Delta three-phase, which

has
only two ungrounded wires, yet delivers true three-phase.