Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combination Boiler or Condensing Boiler

In article
,
Tyler wrote:
I've just had my house converted to gas from electric only. I having
central heating put in.

So your existing system is a storage one with immersion heater in a
cylinder?

Which, in your opinion, is better, a combination boiler or condensing?

That's two questions.

Near all new boilers these days have to be condensing types to meet the
regs on efficiency.

A combi boiler gives instant hot water - it doesn't store it like your
present system. So it will give unlimited hot water. However, what it
won't do is deliver hot water at the temperature and flow rate you're used
to from a storage system. This won't matter much for doing the washing up
or maybe even for a shower but will if you like baths - they will take
much longer to fill.

I have a 2 bed semi and can build on the side in future. I have a
downstairs loo along with the bathroom upstairs.

The more outlets used at once the more the downsides of a combi become
apparent.

The fitters seem to like the combination boiler as they are easier to
put in.

You've got it in one.

Help as I know little about DIY!

Installing a combi means you can get rid of the storage cylinder. That
might well be a plus. It also means if the boiler breaks down you loose
the hot water as well as the heating. If you go for a non combi boiler you
will still have your immersion as a back up. The choice really is yours.
I've stuck with a storage system and a condensing boiler.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.