Posted to uk.d-i-y
nafuk nafuk is offline

Default Combination Boiler or Condensing Boiler

On 4 Dec, 09:47, Tyler wrote:
Hi all,

I've just had my house converted to gas from electric only. I having
central heating put in. Which, in your opinion, is better, a
combination boiler or condensing?

I have a 2 bed semi and can build on the side in future. I have a
downstairs loo along with the bathroom upstairs.

The fitters seem to like the combination boiler as they are easier to
put in. Help as I know little about DIY!

TH

A combi condensing boiler will need a good water supply to work well.
I have a condensing regular boiler because my water supply is poor -
it is ok until the neighbours open a tap, and then it reduces to a
trickle. A combi boiler heats the water 'on the fly' as it goes
through the boiler from the mains supply to your shower, bath, hot
taps. Imagine a poor mains supply and trying to shower as you
neighbours turn taps on and off etc.

A combi will not need a hot tank/airing cupboard whereas a regular
boiler will need one - do you have a space to put a hot tank/airing
cupboard?

If you get a combi make sure you get one powerful enough for your
requirements i.e. one that can heat the water at a fast enough rate so
that you get a godd flow rate of hot water.