william_b_noble

Default Cleaning inside a motorcycle crankcase

to start the title, trailer it to the DMV and let them inspect it - no need
for it to be running.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
s.com...
Old Nick wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:10:01 GMT, Jim Stewart
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Split it! Not worth anything else. isn't that what "rebuilding" means?

You are rebuilding 40 year old machine, and 90 ccs at that! You are
already insane, (although in huge company)! Do it properly! G.

You're right, I am insane and I bought the silly thing
for therapy. As to why I'm not splitting the case,
well, there is a semi-good explaination. I got the
bike without a title. DMV promises that if I just
bring it in and let them check the serial numbers,
they'll be able to fix me up. I'm doubtful. But in
any case, before I put a ton of work into the bike,
I want to ride it to DMV and start the titling process.

I have a second engine that I'll probably rebuild
correctly if I can get a clear title on the bike.

I'm rebuilding the top end of a 1964 Honda
S90 motorcycle engine. The work is nearly
done, but I'm concerned about the 40 years
of accumulated gunk in the crankcase. I
really *don't* want to split the case, but
I would like to flush it out somehow.

I'm thinking that before I put the cylinder
and head back on, I could fill the case with
stoddard solvent, kick it over a few times,
drain it and repeat. Before starting the
engine, I'll fill it with fresh oil, which
I'll replace after 15 minutes or so of running.

Would this be a good idea

no

or will I mess
something up?

Probably.

Look. One afternoon, I and a mate sat down with few beers and
installed a new hi-lift camshaft on a Honda CB750. It was good. I have
since rebuilt motors and gearbxes of various sizes (no beer). I have
NEVER regretted going that extra step. There is both a Zen experience
in that rebuild, and the purity of the rebuild, and good old grunt
satisfaction of a thorough job well done. (Same result, different
culture?)

I will admit that I have a few machines about the place that have not
had projects _started_ on them because of the knowledge that Zen takes
time! G I tell people I am afraid of what I will find when I open
them up. but the truth is that I am afraid of what I se inside ME that
scares me.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad