Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

dpb wrote:
Andy H wrote:
Hi Gang,
Heres some background. I work in my garage(SHOP!!) and I have a
nice 50" Jet TS and an old Dewalt RAS and crappy ryobi router.
Lately I have had delusions of grandeur, thinking about doing some
more serious side work. I have a commission to do 7 small carts and
another to do an entertainment center. These are from the same client.
I am in a position to invest in the shop a bit and I can justify
about $5-$600. Im thinking of getting a 2hp Dust collector (Shop
Fox), a Triton 2-1/4 HP Router, and a forrest WWII blade.

Im getting a PC nailer set out of what I make for these 7 carts.
i dont have a jointer or planer but I dont have much need for them at
this moment. Althought I do have a bunch of raw Black Walnut boards
that need planing.
My work is pretty varied. A bunch of cabinet stuff, but I want to
get into some fine blanket chests, furniture n stuff.

Im open to other suggestions. Help me spend my money!

I'd say hold onto your money until you really know what you _need_ to do
what you're trying to do, myself. (I know, like LRod, I'm up for the
heresy stake! ).

I think that's the best piece of advice
I've seen on this topic.

When I started thinking about seriously
getting into the hobby, I set up a wish
list at a few stores, including Lee
Valley. It was tough with LV especially
because there were so many things in
their catalog I felt I needed and didn't
want a behemoth wish list. Even with my
pared down list, I found that as time
went on, the original "must haves" were
eliminated and replaced with other
things that looked more applicable to
the things I was doing and my skill
level, which changed my perspective
considerably.

In the last few years, I don't think
I've bought anything that I haven't
used, but each item has been on the list
for a long time, waiting for the real
"need:" for it and available cash.

snip

But, as rare as it is in the rec, I really think when you know what
you need is the time to go shopping, not just when you have a whim. IOW,
start on your projects and see where you're stuck doing something the
hard way and then decide what it takes to solve that problem. You'll
probably be happier in the long run.

Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/