Posted to alt.home.repair, rec.woodworking
[email protected] websurf1@cox.net is offline

Default Is there much of an R value to sheetrock?

On Dec 3, 7:54 am, "efgh" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

t...

"jtpr" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to do the exterior walls in my garage (workshop)
here in the Portsmouth, NH area. I'm going to use R-19 exterior (2x6
walls) for the insulation. But I was thinking, they have this silver
pegboard at HD that would be kind of cool to use. My question is how
much of a loss would I suffer if I JUST used the pegboard and skipped
the sheetrock (1/2") altogether? The garage will be heated. The
dimensions are 20x20x11 and it is new construction.

Thanks in advance.
-Jim

Sheet rock is normally taped and or sealed at the seams. Normally
installed sheet rock will certainly cut down of drafts over pegboard
alone.

I would think the fire retardation of sheetrock would be a good benefit over
the pegboard as well.

And in some places the sheetrock will be required by code, for fire
prevention purposes.
Doing things to code will be important when you eventually sell the
place.