Posted to rec.woodworking
NoOne N Particular NoOne N Particular is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

Im getting a PC nailer set out of what I make for these 7 carts.
i dont have a jointer or planer but I dont have much need for them at
this moment. Althought I do have a bunch of raw Black Walnut boards
that need planing.
My work is pretty varied. A bunch of cabinet stuff, but I want to
get into some fine blanket chests, furniture n stuff.

I am not offering any advice here, but merely asking a kind of follow-up
question. Several people have mentioned the planer and while not
necessarily recommending one they have talked about it usefulness. But
it seems to me that since Andy has mentioned things like cabinet work,
furniture, and blanket chests that one of those drum sanders could prove
to be very useful. I have not built large pieces like that, but I have
built smaller projects that made me think how sweet one of those things
could be. I also think that if I had a lot of good wood that needed to
"planed" that a drum sander would be preferred to a planer. especially
if the wood had some sort of figure that may chip out during planing.

The two negatives that I see to this are that the sanders are a tad
pricey and dust collection would not be an option. It is also more
money than Andy said he had to spend, but I'm sure his arm could be
twisted enough to stretch the old budget a little. :-)

Wayne