Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a
fence on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a
pretty nice cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill

Only if the side next to the fence is straight. I have in fact ripped rough
wood that way (but the other edge was straight but rough). And, you can
make a sled to guide curved boards through the saw, or you can make a jig
for use with a router.

Otherwise, you run the risk of kickback. Kickback can be very hazardous to
your health.

Jim