Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Brian Henderson wrote:

We should certainly go back to that kind of thinking and end the
ridiculous welfare for life nonsense we have now.

Actually the welfare reform act did...as one of the few actual political
achievements of the 90's.....lifetime welfare benefits are limited to 5
years. There are many incentives and programs for education and job skills
and the overall welfare rolls have fallen by 50 %.

The realistic problem is basic bottom tier wages are too low to buy food,
shelter and medical....while many professions have jumped in purchasing
power especially doctors, lawyers and politiciansG....the bottom tier has
fallen significantly but many basic living costs have not. For example in
1976 (in the NW) a janitor made roughly $4.00 an hr today he would make
roughly between $8-$11 and yet if wages had simply kept abreast with
inflation his wages would be $15.80......$4.00 was not a flush living in
1976, ten dollars today is considerably worse. A medical plan in 1976 was
$25.00 today roughly $300-400 per month.......Third world imports and legal
and illegal immigration has flooded the bottom tier thus driving down wages
while the top tier steadily protects itself from competition...not a fair
playing field by any means.....Rod