Posted to alt.home.repair, rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default Is there much of an R value to sheetrock?

On Dec 3, 2:40 pm, jtpr wrote:
I'm getting ready to do the exterior walls in my garage (workshop)
here in the Portsmouth, NH area. I'm going to use R-19 exterior (2x6
walls) for the insulation. But I was thinking, they have this silver
pegboard at HD that would be kind of cool to use. My question is how
much of a loss would I suffer if I JUST used the pegboard and skipped
the sheetrock (1/2") altogether? The garage will be heated. The
dimensions are 20x20x11 and it is new construction.

As others have noted, the fire and draft resistance of drywall are
quite
important.

A proper moisture barrier is important as drywall will pass water
vapor
and absorb condensate, becoming gummy and stinky over time.

Interestingly, much of the fire resistance is due to water chemically
bound
in the plaster. When heated, the water escapes which carries energy
away from the drywall, cooling it.

--

FF