Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Is there much of an R value to sheetrock?

jtpr wrote:
I'm getting ready to do the exterior walls in my garage (workshop)
here in the Portsmouth, NH area. I'm going to use R-19 exterior (2x6
walls) for the insulation. But I was thinking, they have this silver
pegboard at HD that would be kind of cool to use. My question is how
much of a loss would I suffer if I JUST used the pegboard and skipped
the sheetrock (1/2") altogether? The garage will be heated. The
dimensions are 20x20x11 and it is new construction.

To amplify Leon's answer -- the R-value of sheetrock is pretty minimal
(only a few tenths) but do be sure you have a good windbarrier. Should
have one on the exterior, of course, if the builders didn't tear it full
of holes and did a good job of it. Wouldn't hurt to add an interior for
certain.