Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer?

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:54:22 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I have turned wet wood but not without frustration. After some
suggestions and experimentation, I found that putting the turned piece
in a bag of sawdust immediately after turning slow the drying process
down enough to prevent splitting.

I've tried paper bags, plastic bags, saw dust, shavings from the wood, LDD,
etc., etc... most split anyway..

I love turning green wood, so I used to turn it very wet and very thin and let
it warp..
I think warping can enhance most bowls but never thought a crack did.. YMWV

(back in the days when wet wood was available to me, I sold several bowls that
looked like they were made for banana splits)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing