Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer?

Hi Lyndell, Sorry to disappoint, but I have no experience with drying
wood in a clothes dryer. I would guess that the risk of fire (from wood,
not spouse) would be minimum. Since shirts aren't set on fire, it's
unlikely that flitches would be.

Actually at our house we mostly dry our clothes outside on a clothes
line. None of the neighbors do, but I'm from the backwoods and there's
something about clean clothes flapping in the sunshine, even in the city
,,,,and even including underwear!

I "preserve" my green NIP, a trash tree hereabouts, with an occasional
soaking with LDD spray and dry it outside under a shade tree, on a rack
and covered with a tarp. The saying that as we grow older our toys get
smaller is true in my case. I'm mostly turning small objects on my
little Jet Mini or Vickmarc Vl100, so dry offcuts from a friendly
cabinet shop are my mainstays.

Patience is the secret ingredient in most timber drying, but I don't
have much of it to waste. Hope you aren't considering ironing your
blanks after removing from the clothes dryer. That might not be safe.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter