Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy H Andy H is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

LRod wrote:
Snip

Similarly, with routers, what do you think the extra money in the
Triton will get you that a more pedestrian router wouldn't? For the
money they get for it, you could have two routers with less glitz. I'm
not demeaning the design, but if you do a lot of routing, quantity has
a quality all its own. I'd rather have a couple or three P-C 690s for
the convenience than one Triton (or, gasp, Festool). However, that's
an oversimplification, and your routing needs surely aren't the same
as my routing needs.

I did woodworking for a lot of years without either a jointer or a
planer, and I've had two of each since then. I can't really quantify
how I'd rank them in importance of necessity.

I think I'd like to see a drill press in the mix. I've often referred
to it as the most used tool in my shop.

Thanks LRod,
I forgot to mention that I have a small Drill press. A 10" Delta. I
would like a larger one, 12" maybe?

The Triton Router is $199. I want to mount it into a table and I like
the fact that it comes with an edge guide. You think a PC 690 would be
better? And buy my own edge guide? The PC is smaller, but "only" 1-3/4 HP.
Im leaning toward a planer. As I said i have a bunch of Walnut and i
want to get into building nicer things. The planer could open that door
for me?

Keep the suggestions coming I appreciate every one! I think Ive ruled
out the DC. Not enough bang for my buck.

BadAndy
--
:: Clever Sig here ::