Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

"Andy H" wrote in message

I am definitely getting the WWII, my questions is: Is there anything
else that I am not thinking of that would be useful?

Yes, EVERYTHING! I have been doing this for 30 or so years and I still
need/want everything I see. ;~)

I'd love a jointer but i want to wait until I can get a good one.
Im afraid a planer would just sit there for quite a while.

I bought a jointer in 1983. It is absolutely the least used tool in my
shop. I could not get along with out a planer.
If you rough cut lumber is relatively flat you can run it through the planer
and be fine. Keep in mind that a plainer will not by itself flatten a
board. You can build a jig to flatten a board with a planer. I use a Jig
over using my jointer.
A Kreg pocket hole jig is very handy also.
What you buy next will be mosty dictated by what your projects are going to
be. You will be safe with the planer and or Kreg and you will certainly use
both quite often.
The plainer is very useful for resurfacing to a specific thickness, smooth
up resaw cuts and or making thiner stick.

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

Again, IMHO the dust collector is a luxury. I have been woodworking
seriousely since 1978 and finally bought a dust collector last spring IIRC.
I had to have it for a drum sander as at that point it becomes a necessity
although I got the DC a year before the sander. My BS turns out an enormous
amount of dust when resawing and I got the DC quickly after buying the
Laguna BS.