Posted to alt.home.repair, rec.woodworking
Pat Pat is offline

Default Is there much of an R value to sheetrock?

On Dec 3, 9:40 am, jtpr wrote:
I'm getting ready to do the exterior walls in my garage (workshop)
here in the Portsmouth, NH area. I'm going to use R-19 exterior (2x6
walls) for the insulation. But I was thinking, they have this silver
pegboard at HD that would be kind of cool to use. My question is how
much of a loss would I suffer if I JUST used the pegboard and skipped
the sheetrock (1/2") altogether? The garage will be heated. The
dimensions are 20x20x11 and it is new construction.

Thanks in advance.
-Jim

Could you and should you are two different things.

The biggest benefit of sheetrock is to protect the plastic vapor
barrier. So if you put up peg board the punch through the plastic
(and you will at some time), you let the moisture in and it will
condense in the insulation.