Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Hitachi C10FL Tablesaw, Any Good?

Leon,

While a little less room is taken up the motor is probably
a universal motor with brushes.

According to the Hitachi web site, it is a 15 amp "induction" motor.

Even my old Craftsman saw has an induction motor, though it is a direct
drive.

The real thing to consider here is how well the fence holds its
position during use and does it lock down parallel to the blade every
time. Are measurements repeatable using the saw's fence rule?
Typically use will be the indicator.

That's one of the reasons I was hoping to hear real world experiences
with the C10FL saw. Features are nice, specs are fine, but what matters
most is how it holds up in actual use.

I'm surprised there's so little feedback on this saw, considering it's
available at any Lowes and has been around a couple of years. Although,
the fact that there aren't any real complaints posted either is kind of
positive sign. People post a lot more about things they are unhappy with
than things they like.

This may or may not be an advantage. Some times these more conveinent
control positions are not as reliable, easily adjusted, and or as
accurate.

Again, that's the real world experience I was hoping for.

- The bevel angle is displayed through a little viewer on top of the
table.

I would use that scale only for indicating when you are close enough
to use an acurate measuring tool to actually set the angle.

That's the approach I use now, since the indicator on my saw is a flimsy
metal pointer that can be bent out of position easily. The indicator on
the Hitachi looked like it would be a more accurate pointer, with less
likelihood of being bumped out of place.

- It ran off 120V (I don't have 220V outlets available).

Many contractors saws also run off of 120.

Contractor saws usually have the protruding motor, or else they have the
noisy universal type motor.

If you can see the need for 30" capacity now you will probably outgrow
this saw sooner than you want. Personally I'll never go less than 50"
again.

Without lots of support tables around the saw, I wouldn't feel
comfortable trying to maneuver a large sheet of plywood across the saw
like that. I wouldn't have room to do that, even if I wanted to. I find
it much easier to use a straight edge and a circular saw to cut down
large sheets.

As for capacity, there have only been a few instances where I wish I had
more than the 24" rip capacity. Most of the time, I simply measure from
the other side of the sheet and cut "backwards" (i.e. cut off the part I
want to keep, instead of cutting off the waste)

I'm sure I would end up cutting more on the tablesaw if I had the extra
capacity, but I don't miss what I've never had...

- Does it have any dust collection features?

Really and truely that would be the least of my concerns.

I just bought a dust collector, so dust collection is currently high on
my wish list.

And yes, the C10FL has a dust port on the bottom. Probably not real
efficient collection, but it's better than nothing.

If you are getting a replacement saw you should really only consider a
contractors saw or better.

From what I can tell, the Hitachi C10FL appears to be placed somewhere
between a contractor saw and a hybrid saw.

I wasn't really in the market for a new saw, but the $500 price tag is
attractive for a saw that "appears" to have the features I'm interested
in. What really matters to me is what this saw can do that I can't do
with my current saw.

Despite the shortcomings of my current old Craftsman saw, I've built
many, many projects. But things like the small table top, excessive
vibration, height and tilt adjustments that don't lock in place, lack of
dust collection, etc. are reasons I wish I had a new saw.

Anthony