Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Laser vs conventional in pro operations

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I was wondering if it's gotten to the point where most parts are cut
with a Laser or some other (plasma? water?) state of the art
technology vs conventional CNC shearing/punching etc.

My only parts are usually aluminum chassis for electronics equipment.

I know that there are different ways of approaching a part, like do
the punching first, then shear, notch and bend (or whatever).

But how would most big fabricators today approach an electronics
chassis?

Say a typical, simple aluminum one with small holes and 90 degree
bends etc -- nothing fancy.

Would the part be completely laser cut and then sent to the bending
machine? done deal?

THANKS for any answers.

Water jet would do the trick just fine. The problem is that for electronic
chassis it is a simple matter to lay out, shear and punch or drill holes and
then fold using a brake.

With the water jet they take your drawing program the cuts and cut out the
part. Your job would be near perfect to the drawing, but the minimum charge
for the job would probably cost more than manually fabricating the piece.

Of course if you wanted 10 parts it would probably be the same price as one,
given that water jet can cut through ten sheets just about as fast as it can
cut through one sheet.

--
Roger Shoaf